Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Social Networking

I was hesitant to get involved in social networking online initially. My friends and students I met at MSU thought I was crazy because I didn't have a Facebook account. I remember going to a party and met some girls who wanted my name so she could add me on Facebook but was disappointed when I told her I didn't have it. Her response was "how are you a student and not have Facebook?"

I eventually did get a Facebook after meeting some individuals from England on a trip to San Francisco and I wanted to stay in touch with them. I soon became involved in social networking joining several sites and trying to connect with individuals similar to myself. I think a part of me was being stubborn for so long as to not join one just to be different haha. Now I can see the merit in using social networking sites. It is a convenient way to communicate with individuals, plan collaborative events and share information. I do think that some people spend too much time on facebook and other social networking sites, but that is going to happen regardless of what people are doing with their time.

I think younger and younger students are becoming involved in social networking sites. It's wierd when I see older individuals join them too. I see my friends parents and grandparents joining Facebook and think how silly, but now it is not just for young college students but for people of all ages.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful that tools exist that help connect the generations together? When I taught computer classes for community education - my classes were filled to the brim with students who were in their 70's. They wanted to learn how to surf the Internet and send emails. In this day and age, with families and friends spread by the four winds to all corners of the Earth, it's comforting to know that you can connect with loved ones online, sharing photo and post a message on someone's wall. Just wondering ~ Do you see schools eventually allowing students to use these tools during the school day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think schools will eventually give in to allowing students use these tools during the school day. If teachers see how to incorporate using them in their lessons and see the functionality of using the online tools it will probably be allowed. I think schools are hesitant about allowing students using Facebook and other sites right now but with time will become more lenient about it. I think allowing students to use Facebook and other social networking site for amusement during lunch breaks could be a first step to integrating its use in schools and showing school administrators if their students can or can not handle the responsibility that comes with allowing the access.

    ReplyDelete